Manual Chapter : Introduction to Advanced Firewall Manager
Applies To:Show Versions
- 17.1.0, 17.0.0, 16.1.3, 16.1.2, 16.1.1, 16.1.0, 16.0.1, 16.0.0, 15.1.8, 15.1.7, 15.1.6, 15.1.5, 15.1.4, 15.1.3, 15.1.2, 15.1.1, 15.1.0, 15.0.1, 15.0.0
Introduction to Advanced Firewall Manager
What is Advanced Firewall Manager
BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is a high-performance, stateful, full-proxy network security module designed to protect your data centers from threats entering the network using the most popular protocols.
BIG-IP AFM is built on the F5 Traffic Management Operating system (TMOS) and includes four core features to protect data centers from external network threats, and to help you determine the types of threats your data centers are being exposed to.
- Network Firewall
- Controls access to application resources using industry-standard firewall-based rules.
- DoS/DDoS Protection
- Monitors and mitigates against denial-of-service and distributed denial-of-service (DoS/DDoS) attacks.
- IP Intelligence
- Restricts or allows data center access based on lists of source IP addresses (feed lists).
- Provides detailed graphical reports about network attack events.
BIG-IP AFM uses these core features to protect resources in your data centers and provide detailed information about various network attack events. The following topics provide a brief overview to help you gain familiarity with each of the core features.