Applies To:Show Versions
- 15.1.0, 15.0.1, 15.0.0, 14.1.2, 14.1.0, 14.0.1, 14.0.0
Migration of Configurations Between Different Platforms
About Migrating BIG-IP configurations between
What is the BIG-IP Migration Assistant?
Supported source and target
- Cannot migrate to or from a FIPS-enabled BIG-IP device.
- Cannot migrate from a BIG-IP device running in the Appliance/Common Criteria mode.
Install the Migration Assistant
- At the Releases tab for f5-big-ip-migration-assistant ongithub.com/f5devcentral, locate the version and platform you want to use to install the Migration Assistant:
- For Mac OS X, open the.dmgfile and drag the F5 BIG-IP Migration Assistant icon into the Applications folder.
- For Linux, open the.debfile.
- For Windows, open the.exefile.The F5 End-User License Agreement opens.
- Read the F5 End-User License Agreement, and then clickI Accept.The BIG-IP Migration Assistant opens.
Adding a source device
- Open the BIG-IP Migration Assistant.
- On the left, clickBIG-IP Devices, and then click theAdd Devicebutton at upper right.
- In theDevice Addressfield, type the management IP address (host name or IP address) of the BIG-IP source device for which you want to store a reference.
- In theAdmin Userfield, type a user name for connecting to the device.
- In theAdmin Passwordfield, type a password for connecting to the device.
- If the BIG-IP device is using a self-signed certificate, clear theVerify server identitycheck box.
- ClickSave Device.
Create a UCS archive
- In the Migration Assistant, on the left, clickUCS Archives, and then click theNew Archivebutton at upper right.
- Based on your target device version, specify whether you are generating or selecting a UCS:
- For a BIG-IP version 12.1.0 or later target device, clickGenerate UCS, and go to step 3.
- For a BIG-IP version 11.1.0 – 11.6.x or 12.0.0 target device, clickSelect UCS, and skip to step 4.
- To generate and import a UCS file for a BIG-IP target device version 12.1.0 or later:
- From theBIG-IP Devicelist, select the source device the UCS file will be generated from.
- In theArchive Namefield, type a file name for the UCS archive.
- For theMaster Keylist, either provide or reset the passphrase: To enter a master key passphrase, selectMaster key passphraseand type the passphrase in the field, or to reset the master key, selectReset master keyand type a new master key passphrase.
- ClickGenerate Archive.
- To select a previously generated UCS archive file for a BIG-IP target device version 11.1.0 – 11.6.x, or 12.0.0:
- For theUCS Archivesetting, clickChoose File, and then select a UCS archive file.You must use a previously generated archive file because Migration Assistant cannot generate UCS files for any BIG-IP system earlier than version 12.1.0. For more information about UCS files, refer to K4423:Overview of UCS archivesonsupport.f5.com.
- In theAdmin Userfield, type the administrative user name for the device that the UCS was generated from.
- In theAdmin Passwordfield, type the administrative password for the device that the UCS was generated from.The user name and password are needed to maintain the connection to the new device when migrating the UCS.
- In theMaster Keyfield, type the passphrase for the UCS.
- ClickSelect Archive.
Migrate a configuration
- Power down the source BIG-IP device.
- Boot the target device.
- Change the management IP address on the target device so it has the same address as the source device.
- On the Migration Assistant, on the left clickPlatform Migration, and then click theNew Migrationbutton at upper right.
- From theSource Archivelist, select the UCS archive migration source previously created.
- From theTarget Devicelist, select the target device you want to migrate to.You can only migrate UCS files to devices running BIG-IP version 12.1.3 and later, or version 13.1.0 and later.
- ClickBegin Migration.After a successful migration, the progress indicator migration row will no longer display.
Confirm the migration on the target
- Log in to the BIG-IP target device to verify all configuration changes are complete.Depending on your network configuration, you may need to force the old device offline.
- If necessary, reconfigure VLANs and interface mappings, or configuration element(s).For a list of configuration elements, refer to K82540512:Overview of the UCS archive platform-migrate optiononsupport.f5.com.
- Perform traffic testing on the target device to verify that it is working properly.
Troubleshoot migration issues with the
- The UCS file is encrypted at generation time.
- The UCS file is damaged during download from the source BIG-IP device.