Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Before you Upgrade BIG-IQ and a Data Collection Device Cluster from Version 5.2 or 5.3
Upgrading BIG-IQ version 5.2 or 5.3 and a data collection device
What BIG-IQ setup does this upgrade process support?
What happens during a BIG-IQ upgrade to version
Summary of tasks to upgrade BIG-IQ version 5.2 or 5.3 and a DCD cluster to version
- Download the BIG-IQ software image from the F5 Downloads site.
- Upload the latest version of the BIG-IQ software image to the primary BIG-IQ.
- Check the health of the devices in the DCD cluster.
- Determine available disk space for the devices in the DCD cluster.
- Prepare the upgrade for your DCD cluster.
- For each device in the DCD cluster, upload the BIG-IQ software and upgrade the device.
- Remove the secondary BIG-IQ system from the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upgrade the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upload the BIG-IQ software image to the secondary BIG-IQ system and upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ system.
- Add the secondary BIG-IQ system back to the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upgrade the statistics agent.
- Re-discover and re-import services.
- Re-discover devices and re-import LTM, ASM, AFM, and DNS services.
- For devices running APM services, re-import or remove and re-create access groups (with or without SWG data).
Tasks to complete before you start the upgrade process
Deploy any staged configuration changes to your managed devices.
Deploy configuration changes you have staged for your devices. When addressing configuration conflicts for each BIG-IP device, F5 recommends you use BIG-IP to override the configuration settings stored on BIG-IQ. Refer to the section titled,
Re-discover devices and re-import services from the user interface.
Decide which disk volume you want to install the upgrade on. You must have at least two volumes to upgrade.
If you don't have two volumes and are upgrading from versions 5.2 or 5.3, refer to:
K17406: Using the tmsh utility to create a new software volume for installing a new image or hotfix on the BIG-IQ systemat: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K17406. If you are upgrading from version 5.4 or later, you can add the second volume as part of the upgrade.
If you are currently using a self-IP address for device discovery, make a note of that IP address.
You'll need to enter that IP address when you perform setup after you upgrade and reboot the BIG-IQ system.
Upgrade all managed BIG-IP devices to version 12.1 or later
For you to manage BIG-IP devices from BIG-IQ Centralized Management, the BIG-IP devices must be running version 12.1 or later.
BIG-IQ software image from F5 Networks
- Log in to the F5 Downloads site,downloads.f5.com.
- Click theFind a Downloadbutton.
- Click the name of the product line.
- Click the product name,Centralized Management.
- Click the version number you want to download.
- Read the End User Software License agreement and click theI Acceptbutton if you agree with the terms.
- Click the BIG-IQ version<version number>.isofile name that you want to download.
- Click the name of the closest geographical location to you.The software image downloads to your local system.
Upload the latest
version of the software image to the version 5.2 or 5.3 primary BIG-IQ
- At the top of the screen, clickSystem.
- On the left, expand, then clickAvailable Images.The Available Images screen lists the software image files that are available for install on this BIG-IQ.
- Click theUpload Imagebutton.
- Click theChoose Filebutton and go to the location to which you downloaded the image, and click theOpenbutton to upload it to BIG-IQ.
- Click theUploadbutton.The screen refreshes to display the progress of the upload.