Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Upgrade Overview for
BIG-IQ v5.2 or 5.3 with a Data Collection Device Cluster to v6.1.0
Upgrading BIG-IQ version v5.2 or 5.3 and a data collection device
cluster to v6.1.0
What BIG-IQ setup does this upgrade process support?
What happens during a BIG-IQ upgrade to the latest
BIG-IQ pre-upgrade checklist
- Verify that the software version of the BIG-IP devices managed by the BIG-IQ you are updating are at or beyond the minimum supported version. (For details on how to do this, refer to the AskF5 article K34133507 onsupport.f5.com.)
- If you plan to gather performance analytics for the BIG-IP devices managed by the BIG-IQ you are updating, confirm that the managed devices are at or beyond version 13.1.1, and provisioned with the AVR service.
- Check that you have sufficient disk space for the upgrade. To calculate the disk space you need, make sure you include the space your current installation consumes and the extra amount needed for the upgrade.(For details on how to do this check, refer toIf thevarpartition for any of the devices in your cluster was extended before you upgraded, you must extend thevarpartition for that device before the upgrade can succeed.Check the volume sizes on your current BIG-IQ installationandCheck the volume sizes required by the software you want to installinF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementonsupport.f5.com. For details on how to extend a disk volume, refer toResizing VE Disk Volume WorkflowsinF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementonsupport.f5.com).
- Verify that your BIG-IQ VE has sufficient memory and CPUs for the configuration that you plan to deploy. (For details on how to do this, refer toDetermine the resources required for deploymentinPlanning and Implementing a BIG-IQ Centralized Management Deploymentonsupport.f5.com).
- Examine the health of the devices you plan to upgrade. Make sure to inspect the BIG-IQ primary and secondary devices as well as each DCD in the cluster. (For details on how to do this, refer toCheck the health of devices in a DCD clusterinPlanning and Implementing a BIG-IQ Centralized Management Deploymentonsupport.f5.com).
- Re-activate the licenses on the devices you plan to upgrade to make sure that the service contract date is up to date. Make sure to do this for the BIG-IQ primary and secondary devices, as well as each DCD in the cluster. (For details on how to do this, refer to the F5 Knowledge Center articleK15365onsupport.f5.com).
- Confirm the zone configuration of the DCDs that you plan to upgrade and for the devices managed by the BIG-IQ systems you plan to upgrade. If a device is configured to be in a zone that does not have DCDs in it, statistics for that device will not be collected after the upgrade.
- To view the zone configuration for a DCD, navigate toand note the zone.
- To view the zone configuration for a device, navigate toDevices, click the name of the device, then clickSTATISTICS COLLECTIONand note the zone.
Summary of tasks to upgrade BIG-IQ version 5.2 or 5.3 and a DCD
cluster to the latest version
- Download the BIG-IQ software image from the F5 Downloads site.
- Upload the latest version of the BIG-IQ software image to the primary BIG-IQ.
- Check the health of the devices in the DCD cluster.
- Determine available disk space for the devices in the DCD cluster.
- Prepare the upgrade for your DCD cluster.
- For each device in the DCD cluster, upload the BIG-IQ software and upgrade the device.
- Remove the secondary BIG-IQ system from the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upgrade the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Upload the latest version of the BIG-IQ software image to the secondary BIG-IQ.
- Upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ to the latest version.
- Add the secondary BIG-IQ system back to the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Run the post upgrade process.
- Upgrade the statistics agent.
- Re-discover devices and re-import services (you can do this either manually or using a script).
- If you manage devices that use APM services, remove and recreate access groups. There are 3 ways to do this, depending on whether your devices use Secure Web Gateway data and whether you want to do this manually or in bulk.
- If you plan to deploy applications to a VMware cloud environment, install the vCenter host root certificate on BIG-IQ.