Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Upgrading BIG-IQ Version 6.0 with a Data Collection Device Cluster
to Version 6.1.0 with Minimal Downtime
What is a minimal
- Operators using the BIG-IQ system to review alerts and events might notice slightly slower performance during the upgrade. Data might take a bit longer to refresh, and searches might take a little more time to run.
- You should not lose any ASM events or FPS alerts during the upgrade.
- You should maintain almost all of your AFM events during the upgrade.
- Statistics data is not collected during the upgrade.
- There is a brief downtime (approximately 5 seconds) when the primary BIG-IQ system is upgraded.
- There is another short downtime (less than a minute) when the secondary BIG-IQ is paired with the primary BIG-IQ.
Upgrading BIG-IQ version 6.0 with a data collection device cluster
to version 6.1.0 with minimal
What BIG-IQ setup does this upgrade process
What happens during a BIG-IQ upgrade to version 6.1.0?
BIG-IQ pre-upgrade checklist
- Verify that the software version of the BIG-IP devices managed by the BIG-IQ you are updating are at or beyond the minimum supported version. (For details on how to do this, refer to the AskF5 article K34133507 onsupport.f5.com.)
- If you plan to gather performance analytics for the BIG-IP devices managed by the BIG-IQ you are updating, confirm that the managed devices are at or beyond version 13.1.1, and provisioned with the AVR service.
- Check that you have sufficient disk space for the upgrade. To calculate the disk space you need, make sure you include the space your current installation consumes and the extra amount needed for the upgrade.(For details on how to do this check, refer toIf thevarpartition for any of the devices in your cluster was extended before you upgraded, you must extend thevarpartition for that device before the upgrade can succeed.Check the volume sizes on your current BIG-IQ installationandCheck the volume sizes required by the software you want to installinF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementonsupport.f5.com. For details on how to extend a disk volume, refer toResizing VE Disk Volume WorkflowsinF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementonsupport.f5.com).
- Verify that your BIG-IQ VE has sufficient memory and CPUs for the configuration that you plan to deploy. (For details on how to do this, refer toDetermine the resources required for deploymentinPlanning and Implementing a BIG-IQ Centralized Management Deploymentonsupport.f5.com).
- Examine the health of the devices you plan to upgrade. Make sure to inspect the BIG-IQ primary and secondary devices as well as each DCD in the cluster. (For details on how to do this, refer toCheck the health of devices in a DCD clusterinPlanning and Implementing a BIG-IQ Centralized Management Deploymentonsupport.f5.com).
- Re-activate the licenses on the devices you plan to upgrade to make sure that the service contract date is up to date. Make sure to do this for the BIG-IQ primary and secondary devices, as well as each DCD in the cluster. (For details on how to do this, refer to the F5 Knowledge Center articleK15365onsupport.f5.com).
- Confirm the zone configuration of the DCDs that you plan to upgrade and for the devices managed by the BIG-IQ systems you plan to upgrade. If a device is configured to be in a zone that does not have DCDs in it, statistics for that device will not be collected after the upgrade.
- To view the zone configuration for a DCD, navigate toand note the zone.
- To view the zone configuration for a device, navigate toDevices, click the name of the device, then clickSTATISTICS COLLECTIONand note the zone.
Summary of tasks
to upgrade a BIG-IQ system with Data Collection Devices with minimal downtime
- Download the BIG-IQ software image from the F5 Downloads site.
- Upload the BIG-IQ software image to BIG-IQ.
- Confirm alerts and events can be sent to an alternative device in the Data Collection Device cluster.
- Upgrade the primary BIG-IQ and the data collection devices to the latest version.
- Upload the software image to the secondary BIG-IQ system.
- Manually upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ system.
- Add the secondary BIG-IQ system back to the primary BIG-IQ system.
- Re-discover devices and re-import services.
- If you plan to deploy applications to a VMware cloud environment, install the vCenter host root certificate on BIG-IQ.