Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Deploying BIG-IQ Virtual Edition in Citrix XenServer
How do I deploy a BIG-IQ VE in Citrix XenServer?
- Verify that the host machine requirements are satisfied.
- Deploy a BIG-IQ system as a virtual machine.
- Deploy the BIG-IP systems you intend to manage.
- After you have deployed the virtual machines, log in to the BIG-IQ VE system and run the Setup utility. Using the Setup utility, you perform basic network configuration tasks, such as assigning VLANs to interfaces.
- Configure secure communication between the BIG-IQ system and the BIG-IP device.
Host machine requirements and recommendations
- Connection to a common NTP source (this is especially important for each host in a redundant system configuration).
- Use a 64-bit architecture.
- Have support for virtualization (AMD-V or Intel VT-x) enabled.
- Support a one-to-one thread-to-defined virtual CPU ratio, or (on single-threading architectures) support at least one core per defined virtual CPU.
- Intel processors must be from the Core (or newer) workstation or server family of CPUs.
Deploy a BIG-IQ VE virtual machine in Citrix Xenserver
- In a browser, open the F5 Downloads page (://downloads.f5.com).
- On the Downloads Overview page, selectFind a Download.
- Under Product Line, selectCentralized Management.
- Under Name, select the release you want to install.
- If the End User Software License is displayed, read it and then clickI Accept.
- Determine which BIG-IQ Virtual Edition file package to download.
The BIG-IQ file package creates a 120Gb disk footprint at installation.The Data Collection Device file package creates a 500Gb disk footprint at installation.
- If you are installing a BIG-IQ, download the file name that ends inide.ovaor-scsi.ova
- If you are installing a Data Collection Device, download the file name that ends inLARGE-ide.ovaorLARGE-scsi.ova.
- Extract the file from the Zip archive.
- Before starting the import wizard, review the prospective hypervisor environment for the following.
- Make sure a DHCP server is active on the same network as the XenServer host before you start the XenCenter OVF Appliance.
- Make sure there are no firewall or other restrictions between the required ports for connectivity between the XenCenter Client and XenServer. For more information and networking requirements, refer to theXenServer Virtual Machine Installation Guide.
- Make sure enough storage space is available on the XenServer for the F5 virtual machine.
- Start theXenServerXenCenterweb-basedclient and log in.
- From theXenCenter6.x File menu, click .The Import wizard starts.
- For the file name, use theBrowsebutton to locate the OVF file, open it, and then clickNext.For example:\MyDocuments\Work\Virtualization\<F5_OVF_filename>This displays the End-User License Agreement (EULA).
- Read and accept the license agreement, and clickNext.The Location window opens.
- Under Home Server, select the home server for the F5 VE virtual machine from the list, and clickNext.
- On the Storage window, clickPlace imported virtual disks onto specified target SRs, select the 100 Gb storage size (for Data Collection Devices, select 500 Gb) and location for the F5 VE virtual machine, and then clickNext.
- On the Networking window, assign the Management, Internal, External, and HA virtual machines to their respective Target Networks and clickNext.There is no need to enter MAC addresses, MAC addresses will be assigned automatically.
- In the OS Fixup Settings window, make sure theUse Operating System Fixupcheck box is cleared, and clickNext.TheUse Operating System Fixupcheck box is selected by default.
- On the Transfer VM Settings window, clickNext, then on the Finish window, review and revise your settings as necessary before continuing.For production use, CPU, RAM, and disk space requirements for deploying a BIG-IQ are determined by a number of factors. For details about the ideal settings for your use, refer toWhen do I need extra resources?onsupport.f5.com. You can adjust the CPU and memory settings after you complete the initial deployment and power off the virtual machine.
- ClickFinish.The progress bar and text in the Progress pane indicate when the F5 virtual machine creation is complete.
Power on the BIG-IQ VE virtual machine for the first time
- In the XenCenter client window, select the Server View.
- Select the virtual machine that you want to power on.
- Click theStarticon.If you do not see theStarticon, look at the tool bar under the View menu.The status icon changes to indicate that the virtual machine is on. The virtual machine boots and becomes ready for configuration.
- The root account provides initial user access to command shells. You can use a local console connection, or you can use SSH. This account also provides access to the F5 Configuration utility. The initial root account password isdefault.
- The admin account provides initial user access through the web interface. The initial admin account password isadmin.
Set up the management network on the BIG-IQ virtual
- In the XenCenter client screen, select the Server View.
- In the Resources pane, select the virtual machine.
- Click the Console tab.You might need to click the console area and press Enter to activate the console.
- At the local host login prompt, typeroot.
- At the password prompt, typedefault.
- Typeconfigand press Enter.The F5 Management Port Setup screen opens.
- Determine how to assign the management port:
- If you want DHCP to automatically assign an address for the management port, selectYes.
- To manually assign an IP address and netmask for the management port, selectNoand follow the instructions to set the IPv4 address, network mask, and management route (gateway address).