Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
- 8.3.0, 8.2.0, 8.1.0, 8.0.0, 7.1.0
Azure Scaling Groups Overview
Overview: Auto-scaling BIG-IP VE devices in Azure cloud
Option 1 - BIG-IQ Centralized Management in a private cloud or
Option 2 - BIG-IQ Centralized Management in the Azure
How do I start auto-scaling BIG-IP VE devices in Azure?
- The primary decision is whether to house all of the resources needed for this SSG in the Azure environment, or to house everything except the devices in a private cloud.
- The other significant decision is whether to use an Azure marketplace license or purchase BYOL utility license (also referred to as PAYG) in advance.
- Set up the prerequisites in the Azure cloud that houses the resources for this SSG.
- Create a BIG-IP device template that Azure uses to create BIG-IP VE devices when application traffic increases and you need to scale out.
- Add provider and environmental details to BIG-IQ by creating an Azure cloud provider and cloud environment.
- Create a service scaling group where you specify thresholds and alert settings for auto-scaling and health monitoring.
- Create a service template to standardize an application for self-service deployment.
- Give users role-based access to the service template and the service scaling group resources.
- Use one of the templates you have permissions for to create an application and deploy it to the devices in a service scaling group.
BIG-IP VE device licensing overview
- If you use an F5AzureMarketplace license, when you configure yourAzurecloud environment on the BIG-IQ, you select the product offering that provides the kind of service and performance levels your application services require. When new instances are created, you get billed for the resources you consume. When those instances are no longer needed, you stop paying for them. This saves you money, because you aren't billed for any BIG-IP VE instances not being used.
- Bring your own license(BYOL)
- With this option, you pay all of your licensing fees up front. As long as your traffic is fairly steady and you have a pretty good idea of how much traffic to expect, this can save you money because the rates are less expensive when you pay in advance for the resources you need. When you choose this option, you purchase and activate the license before you configure theAzurecloud environment on the BIG-IQ.