Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
- 8.0.0, 7.1.0
Setting Up Devices for a VMware Environment
What elements do I need to define so the service scaling group can create devices?
- License pool
- IP pool
- Device template
Activate a utility pool license
- Is connected to the public internet.
- Is able to access theactivate.f5.comsite.
- Has existing firewalls that allow port 443 to pass through.
- At the top of the screen, clickDevices.
- On the left, click.
- Click theAdd Licensebutton.
- In theBase Registration Keyfield, type or paste the registration key, and into theAdd-on Keysfield, type or paste any associated add-on keys.
- For theActivation Methodsetting, selectAutomatic.
- Review the user legal agreement and if you agree, select theI have read and agree to the terms of this licensecheck box.
Create an IP address pool for auto-scaling BIG-IP VE devices
- At the top of the screen, clickDevicesthen, on the left, clickIP Pools.The screen displays the list of the IP pools defined on this device.
- ClickCreate.The Create New IP Pool screen opens.
- Fill in the details for this IP address pool and then clickSave & Close.This creates a new IP pool that you can now use in the cloud environment.
Before you create a device template for a service scaling group
- If you want to specify the port for communication between BIG-IQ and the BIG-IP VE devices, determine what you want to use.
- The licenses to use for licensing new BIG-IP VE devices.
- The lookup server IP address, host name, or FDQN of the first DNS to use as well as the NTP server and timezone you want the BIG-IP VE devices to use.The VLAN interface for the virtual or physical port to connect the BIG-IQ to your managed devices, an optional tag you want to use in the packet header of this VLAN, and an optional frame size (MTU).Do not configure DNS for AWS and Azure.
- The self IP addresses you want to use for the BIG-IP VE devices
- The port lockdown settings you want to use.
- If you use an IP pool alias, you'll need to get the one you specified for your cloud environment, because the environment alias must match the device template alias.
- Static route settings you want to use for newly-created BIG-IP VE devices. These routes are displayed in the destination column of your routing table.
- The admin user credentials required to access the devices in the SSG.If you're using local authentication with a password enforcement policy, you'll have to meet the criteria it specifies for the admin account you created for accessing BIG-IP VE devices.
Create a device
template for auto-scaled BIG-IP VE devices
- At the top of the screen, clickDevicesthen, on the left, clickDEVICE TEMPLATES.
- Click theCreatebutton.
- Click each object needed for the device template you need to create so you can specify the values appropriate for the devices in your SSG.The table lists the object types you can configure along with details about how the SSG uses those details.ObjectThis is where you specify:NotesConfigurationThe text for a hostname prefix and/or suffix to help you identify new BIG-IP VE devices in the you cloud environment.The default route and management port used to communicate between BIG-IQ and the BIG-IP VE devices in the SSG.You must configure a hostname so that you can identify issues revealed through device specific analytics.You can use any port except for 8443.LicenseSpecific license pool you want to use to license new BIG-IP VE devices.You must specify a license pool for the devices in an SSG.ProvisioningComponents you want installed on new BIG-IP VE devices.You must at least select Local Traffic Manager (LTM). You also need Application Visibility and Reporting (AVR) so that analytic data from your devices can trigger scaling events.DNS & NTPDetails about the lookup and NTP server settings and time zone.You must specify an NTP server so all of the devices in the SSG have the same time reference. This must be a server that has the same time as the managing BIG-IQ system.Management IPSelect an IP pool from the menu, then select an option:If you select anIP PoolorIP Pool Alias, type the alias of the IP pool.If you selectDHCP, the DHCP service on that network will provide an IP address.If you select anIP PoolorIP Pool Alias, you'll need to perform a few extra steps. Refer to the following section for instructions.VLANsInterface for the virtual or physical port to connect BIG-IQ to your managed devices.Optional tag you want to use in the packet header of this VLAN and Optional frame size (MTU).You must specify a VLAN for the devices in an SSG.By default, BIG-IP devices use the standard Ethernet frame size of 1518 bytes (1522 bytes if VLAN tagging is used) with the corresponding MTU of 1500 bytes. For BIG-IP devices that support Jumbo Frames, you can specify another MTU value.Self-IPsIP address and VLAN details, including port lockdown options.You must specify self IP addresses for the devices in an SSG.You must specify self IP addresses for the devices in an SSG.Do not remove or rename the external self IP or application deployments to this SSG will fail.For an IPv4 address, you must specify a /32 IP address per RFC 3021. You must type the full netmask. Specifying the prefix length in bits is not supported.If you use an IP pool for your self IP addresses, the pool name you specify in the template must match the name you specify when you configure the VMware environment.RoutesStatic route settings for new BIG-IP VE devices.For destination, you can use the self IP address for this route. It displays in the destination column of the routing tableRoot accountRoot user account for new BIG-IP VE devices.It is good practice to provide root access so that you can access the devices for troubleshooting.User accountsSelect the role and specify a user name and password for users you want to provide access to new BIG-IP VE devices.In addition to alphanumeric input, you can use all punctuation characters for the password.Or, if you are using local authentication and have created apassword enforcement policy, the password must meet the criteria specified in the password enforcement policy.