Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Upgrading BIG-IQ Overview
Upgrading BIG-IQ to the latest version
What BIG-IQ setup does this upgrade process
What happens during a BIG-IQ upgrade
BIG-IQ pre-upgrade checklist
- Verify that you have completed the pre-upgrade tasks. These are detailed in the articleTasks to complete before you start the upgrade processonsupport.f5.com.)
- Verify that the software version of the BIG-IP devices managed by the BIG-IQ you are updating are at or beyond the minimum supported version. (For details on how to do this, refer to the AskF5 article K34133507 onsupport.f5.com.)
- Depending on the version of BIG-IQ software you are upgrading from, the connectivity requirements for your BIG-IQ system may be different in the version you are upgrading to. Refer to K15612 onsupport.f5.comto confirm that the ports you need are configured correctly.
- Check that you have sufficient disk space for the upgrade. For version 7.1.0, the minimum disk space requirement increased by 10%. When you calculate the extra amount of space required for this update, make sure to consider:
If thevarpartition for any of the devices in your cluster was extended before you upgraded, you must extend thevarpartition for that device before the upgrade can succeed.(For details on how to check the size of theFor version 7.1.0 and later, thevarpartition needs to be at least 2.5 times larger than it needed to be for earlier BIG-IQ versions.varpartition on your system, refer toCheck the volume sizes on your current BIG-IQ installationandCheck the volume sizes required by the software you want to installinF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementonsupport.f5.com. For details on how to extend a disk volume, refer toResizing VE Disk Volume WorkflowsinF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementonsupport.f5.com).
- the amount of space your current installation consumes
- the space needed for the upgrade
- an additional 10% to meet this new requirement.
- Verify that your BIG-IQ VE has sufficient memory and CPUs for the configuration that you plan to deploy. (For details on how to do this, refer toDetermine the resources required for deploymentinPlanning and Implementing a BIG-IQ Centralized Management Deploymentonsupport.f5.com).
- Re-activate the licenses on the devices you plan to upgrade to make sure that the service contract date is up to date. Make sure to do this for the BIG-IQ primary and secondary devices, as well as each DCD in the cluster. (For details on how to do this, refer to the F5 Knowledge Center articleK15365onsupport.f5.com).
Tasks to complete before you start the upgrade process
Download the latest BIG-IQ software image and Pre-upgrade Check tool from the F5 Downloads site.
To ensure that the pre-upgrade script runs correctly, make sure you always download the latest version of the tool from
Prepare your statistics for the upgrade process
See Prepare statistics for upgrade. If your BIG-IQ CM is in an HA pair, ensure that this process is completed on each node.
Run the pre-upgrade check script on the primary BIG-IQ by typing the following commands:
This script verifies the following for BIG-IQ:
For additional detail about this script, refer to the AskF5 article K15988343 on
Depending on the version of BIG-IQ software you are upgrading from, the connectivity requirements for your system may be different in the version you are upgrading to. Refer to the AskF5 Knowledge Center article
K15612: Connectivity requirements for the BIG-IQ systemon
support.f5.comto confirm that the ports you need are configured correctly.
Additional information on network connectivity requirements is available in the
Planning and Implementing a BIG-IQ Deploymenton
Deploy any staged configuration changes to your managed BIG-IP devices.
When addressing configuration conflicts for each BIG-IP device, F5 recommends you use BIG-IP to override the configuration settings stored on BIG-IQ.
Decide which disk volume you want to install the BIG-IQ software on. You must have at least two volumes to upgrade BIG-IQ.
If you don't have two volumes, you can add the second volume as part of the upgrade.
If you are currently using a self-IP address for device discovery, make a note of that IP address.
You'll need to enter that IP address when you perform setup after you upgrade and reboot the BIG-IQ system.
Upgrade all managed BIG-IP devices to version 12.1 or later.
For you to manage BIG-IP devices from BIG-IQ Centralized Management, the BIG-IP devices must be running version 12.1 or later.
Run the following command to view all daemons running on the BIG-IQ, and their status:
admin@(ip-10-1-1-4)(cfg-sync Standalone)(Active)(/Common)(tmos)# show /sys service.
Make a note of the daemons running on BIG-IQ and their status. After the upgrade, verify that all daemons are running as expected.
Summary of tasks to upgrade BIG-IQ to the latest version
- Remove standby BIG-IQ from active BIG-IQ.
- Upgrade the primary BIG-IQ.
- Upload the BIG-IQ software image to the standby BIG-IQ and upgrade it.
- Add the secondary BIG-IQ to the active BIG-IQ to re-establish the HA configuration.
- Upgrade the BIG-IP framework on your managed devices.
- Rediscover your BIG-IP devices, and re-import their services.
- If you have a VMware service scaling group configured, you'll need to re-install the vCenter host root certificate on BIG-IQ.