Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
- 8.2.0, 8.1.0
Understanding the Upgrade of BIG-IQ with a Data Collection Device Cluster
Upgrading BIG-IQ with a data collection device cluster
What BIG-IQ setup does
this upgrade process support?
What happens during a BIG-IQ
- Access to BIG-IQ is temporarily unavailable when the Primary BIG-IQ devices upgrades. The primary BIG-IQ upgrades after DCD upgrades are complete.
- BIG-IQ suspends management for all managed BIG-IP devices.
- Data collection from the managed BIG-IP devices is suspended, and resumes only after all devices in the DCD cluster are upgraded and restarted.
Downtime for statistics collection
What happens during a BIG-IQ and data collection device cluster
- Breaks the high availability relationship with the secondary BIG-IQ (if present).
- Upgrades the devices in the data collection device (DCD) cluster. The process starts by checking the statistics retention policy for the cluster and checking that the DCD cluster is healthy. Then, for each device in the DCD cluster:
- Confirms disk space is sufficient for the upgrade.
- Stops snapshot creation.
- Deactivates data collection services for the DCD.
- Upgrades the DCD to the latest version.
- Access to statistics data becomes temporarily unavailable during the DCD device upgrade process.If the/varpartition for any of the devices in your cluster was extended before you upgraded, you must extend the/varpartition for that device before the upgrade will proceed. For details on extending a disk volume, refer toResizing VE Disk Volume Workflowsin theF5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management Disk Space Managementguide onsupport.f5.com.
- Confirms that the DCD is back in service.
- Reactivates data collection services.
- Upgrades the primary BIG-IQ. After the data collection devices have all been upgraded, the primary BIG-IQ is automatically upgraded.
- During the upgrade of the primary BIG-IQ device, the system provides a log of the initial launch status, which allows you monitor device upgrade.
- Once the initial launch is complete, the system becomes temporarily unavailable for up to 60 minutes (see image below).
- The upgrade is complete when the screen displays the system log in page.In the event that the system does not become available within 60 minutes, or the upgrade fails, generate a Qkview and report the issue atsupport.f5.com.
- During the post upgrade process, you are able to log into the system, upgrade secondary BIG-IQ device (if applicable), and navigate though all system screens.
- Data collection services are restored.
- Historical statistics data may not become fully available for several hours, depending on your system's volume of statistics.