Manual Chapter : Preparing to Upgrade Devices in your DCD Cluster and the BIG-IQ with Minimal Downtime
Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Preparing to Upgrade
Devices in your DCD Cluster and the BIG-IQ with Minimal Downtime
Download the BIG-IQ software and MD5 file
Download the BIG-IQ software image to your local system, so you can easily access it to upload it to your BIG-IQ systems.
The BIG-IQ disk space compatibility check is not supported for BIG-IQ hotfix images. To avoid errors, download the standard BIG-IQ
- Log in to the F5 Downloads site,downloads.f5.com.
- Click theFind a Downloadbutton.
- Click the name of the BIG-IQ product line.
- Click the product name,Centralized Management.
- Click the version number you want to download.
- Read the End User Software License agreement and click theI Acceptbutton if you agree with the terms.
- Click theBIG-IQ-<version number>.isofile name that you want to download.
- Click the name of the closest geographical location to you.The software image downloads to your local system.
- Navigate back to the download location by clickingProduct Linesat the top of the screen.
- Download the following ISO files:
- BIG-IQ-<version number> .iso
- BIG-IQ-<version number> .iso.md
The software images are now available for you to upload to BIG-IQ to make them available for this upgrade.
Upload the BIG-IQ software image
Before you can upload the software image to the BIG-IQ system, you must have first downloaded it from the F5 Downloads site,
You upload the BIG-IQ version software image to the primary BIG-IQ system to make it available for this upgrade.
- At the top of the screen, clickSystem.
- On the left click.
- Click theUpload Imagebutton.
- Click theChoose Filebutton and go to the location to which you downloaded the image, and click theOpenbutton to upload it to BIG-IQ.
Confirm that alerts and events can be sent to an alternative
device in a data collection device cluster if one goes off line
Before you start the upgrade process, confirm that your managed BIG-IP devices can send alerts or events to more than one device in the data collection device cluster so that when a particular device in the data collection device cluster is being upgraded, data automatically routes to another device in the data collection device cluster.
- Review the data routing configuration for all of the managed BIG-IP devices that send data to your DCD cluster. If you find a BIG-IP device that is configured to send data to only one device in a DCD cluster, change that configuration before proceeding. Refer to the BIG-IP device documentation onsupport.f5.comfor details on how to configure the BIG-IP device for DCD cluster routing.
- Review the monitoring configuration for all of the managed BIG-IP devices that send data to your DCD cluster. Make sure that each BIG-IP device is configured to send data to an alternate device in the DCD cluster if another device goes offline. If you find a BIG-IP device that is not configured with appropriate monitors, change that configuration before proceeding. Refer to the BIG-IP device documentation onsupport.f5.comfor details on how to configure BIG-IP monitors correctly.