Manual Chapter : Environmental Guidelines
Applies To:Show Versions
General environmental and
i15000 Seriesplatform is an industrial network appliance that is designed to be mounted in a standard 19-inch EIA rack.
Follow these guidelines to adhere to safety precautions:
- Install the rack according to the manufacturer's instructions and check the rack for stability before placing equipment in it.
- Build and position the rack so that after you install the platform, the power supply and the vents on both the front and back of the unit remain unobstructed. The platform must have adequate ventilation around the unit at all times.
- Although not required, a 1U space between units makes it easier for you to remove the unit from the rack in the event that the unit requires service. A 1U space between units also provides additional cable routing options.
- Leaving at least 100 mm of space from the front panel of the unit to the rack front or rack door provides enough room for you to route the cables without excessive bending or insulation damage.
- Do not allow the air temperature in the room to exceed 104°F (40°C).GR-63-CORE NEBS-compliant shelf units can operate at maximum air temperature of up to 131°F (55°C). Operation at the maximum temperature is supported on a short term basis, per GR-63-CORE.
- Do not plug the unit into a branch circuit shared by more electronic equipment than the circuit is designed to manage safely at one time.
- Route and secure power cords so that they do not obstruct removal of the fan tray.
Due to the weight of the platform, at least two people are required to install this chassis into a rack. Failing to use two people can result in severe personal injury or equipment damage.
This product is sensitive to electrostatic discharge (ESD). F5 recommends that you use proper ESD grounding procedures and equipment when you install or maintain the unit.
Customers should not attempt to replace batteries. There is a risk of explosion if a battery is replaced with an incorrect type. Field technicians should dispose of used batteries according to the instructions.
Il y à risque d'explosion si la batterie est remplacée par une batterie de type incorrect. Mettre au rebut les batteries usagées conformément aux instructions.
Chassis rack-mount spatial
i15000 Seriesplatforms ship with a rack mount kit to help install the system more easily. This kit requires that the rack or cabinet has certain clearances and spacing, as shown here.
Guidelines for power supply units (PSUs)
All iSeries platforms support either single or dual power supply units (PSUs). When your system includes dual PSUs, both supplies must be of the same type. To verify this, make sure that the supplies have matching base part numbers (PWR-XXXX). You can find the base part number printed on the label on top of the individual power supply.
The full part number is a nine digit number (PWR-XXXX-YY). The base part number is seven digits and must match, but the suffix (-YY) does not need to match.
If you cannot read the base part number, ensure that the pull handles are both in a
verticalorientation and that the sheet metal on the power cord face for each supply has the same perforation shapes.
When you add or replace a PSU in your system, be sure to verify the supply's features and that the PWR-XXXX part numbers match to ensure that you have the correct supply.
Guidelines for AC-powered
An AC-powered installation must meet these requirements:
- Use a50amp external branch circuit protection device to install the unit.
- Use one power feed for each individual power supply.
The platform must be installed in a RESTRICTED ACCESS LOCATION, such as a central office or customer premises environment.
The power cables included with this unit are for exclusive use with this unit and should not be used with other electrical appliances.
These guidelines apply to STATIONARY PLUGGABLE EQUIPMENT TYPE A with simultaneous multiple connections to the AC MAINS SUPPLY:
- The building installation shall provide a means for connection to protective earth; and
- The equipment is to be connected to that means; and
- A SERVICE PERSON shall check whether or not the socket-outlet from which the equipment is to be powered provides a connection to the building protective earth. If not, the SERVICE PERSON shall arrange for the installation of a PROTECTIVE EARTHING CONDUCTOR from the separate protective earthing terminal to the protective earth wire in the building.
High leakage current. Earth connection essential before connecting supply.
Guidelines for DC-powered equipment
A DC-powered installation must meet these requirements:
- Use a 15 amp external branch circuit protection device to install the unit.
- For permanently connected equipment, incorporate a readily accessible disconnect in the fixed wiring.
- Use only copper conductors.
- Cabling for the system must be grounded on both sides.
- Use one power feed for each individual power supply.
Install DC-powered equipment only in restricted access areas, such as dedicated equipment rooms, equipment closets, or similar locations.
Installer le matérial alimenté par courant continu uniquement dans des zones à accès reglementé, telles que des salles de matériel, des armoires de materiel ou tout emplacement similaire.
Guidelines for NEBS platforms
This information applies to the Network Equipment-Building System (NEBS) version of the this platform:
- This equipment meets NEBS requirements per GR-63-CORE.
- This equipment is suitable for installation in these locations:
- Network Telecommunication Facilities
- Locations where the National Electrical Code (NEC) applies
The intra-building interfaces of this platform, including Ethernet, are suitable for connection to intra-building or unexposed wiring or cabling only with shielded and grounded cables at both ends. The intra-building ports of the equipment must not be connected metallically to interfaces that connect to the outside plant (OSP) or its wiring.
You should coat bare conductors with an appropriate antioxidant compound before you make crimp connections. You should bring all unplated connectors, braided strap, and bus bars to a bright finish and then coat them with an antioxidant before you connect them.
Platform airflow diagram
When you install the platform into a rack, it is important to understand the unit's airflow direction so that you can ensure proper cooling.
The platform employs a negative pressure fan system, which draws cold air in from the front of the chassis.