Applies To:Show Versions
3-DNS Controller versions 1.x - 4.x
Apply the PTF to 3-DNS Controller, version 2.1 using the following process:
- Connect to the F5 Networks FTP site at ftp.f5.com. Click here and follow the instructions for using the F5 Networks FTP site.
- Download the appropriate file (3dns21PTF-01.tar for domestic users or 3dns21PTF-01-intl.tar for international users) to the /var/tmp/ directory on the target 3-DNS Controller.
Type the following commands on the command
tar -xvf 3dns21PTF-01.tar (for domestic users, or 3dns21PTF-01-intl.tar for international users)
- Restart the 3-DNS Controller:
This PTF contains the following enhancements and corrections:
- A new version of NameSurfer has been incorporated, which resolves a number of outstanding issues. (CR 8727)
- When you change the TTL (time to live) for a host, the serial number for the zone now gets updated. (CR 5787)
- When you change the default TTL for a zone, the TTLs for all resource records that are set to the default now get updated.
- A race condition was eliminated whereby a zone managed by NameSurfer could be deleted from /etc/named.conf.
- Wide IP aliases that were defined in a different zone than the wide IP are now allocated in the correct zone file. (CR 8640)
- A new script, called config_ssh, has been added to the 3-DNS Controller. This script ensures that secure communication, via ssh, between all 3-DNS Controllers and BIG-IP Controllers is fully configured. (CR 8726)
Path and host probing
- A new feature was added that allows the big3d agent on a 3-DNS Controller or BIG-IP Controller to perform service checks on any host or virtual server if the big3d agent defined for a particular host or virtual server is unavailable. (CR 8933)
- The DNS_VER protocol (which was one of the protocols you could select to probe LDNS servers and hosts) has been replaced with the DNS_REV protocol. DNS_REV is a reverse IP address lookup protocol and is specific to the 3-DNS Controller. When this protocol is selected, the 3-DNS Controller sends a DNS Message to the probe target LDNS, querying for a record of class IN, type PTR. Most versions of DNS answer with a record containing a fully-qualified domain name. (CR 8733)
- The big3d agent now successfully probes virtual server status on Cisco® LocalDirector version 3.3.1 using the TCP protocol. (CR 8852)
- TCP probing on multiple interfaces, where the packet header lengths are different, is now more robust. (CR 8904)
- Issues concerning new probe protocols, which could cause paths to become stale, have been resolved. (CR 8773)
- A malformed response packet to the big3d process that measures hops no longer causes that process to die. (CR 8761)
- The maximum number of probers has been increased from 32 to 56. (CR 8963)
- When set to TCP, the default iQuery protocol is now displayed correctly in the Globals Statistics page. (CR 8963)
- Summary and wide IP statistics pages now account for resolutions handled by persistence. (CR 8361)
- The ethernet failover option for redundant systems is now more robust. (CR 8728)
After installing this PTF, you must copy the new version of the big3d agent to the BIG-IP Controllers in your network, as follows.
- Log in to the 3-DNS Controller.
- Type 3dnsmaint to open the 3-DNS Maintenance Menu.
- Select Install and Start big3d, and press Enter.
The 3-DNS Controller detects all BIG-IP Controllers in the network and updates their big3d agents.
- Press Enter to return to the 3-DNS Maintanance Menu.
- Press Q to quit.
As of version 2.1, the 3-DNS Controller uses the UC Davis SNMP agent as its front-end agent. This SNMP agent uses the /etc/snmpd.conf configuration file; this file replaces the /etc/snmpd.rc file which was used in previous versions of the 3-DNS Controller.