Applies To:Show Versions
This installation note describes how to copy an installation manager (IM) file of the WANJet software to the hard drive of the unit you want to upgrade to version 5.0.2. You can perform a local upgrade if you have direct access to the system. We recommend using the local upgrade if you have a direct connection to the unit you want to upgrade.
Warning: You can apply this upgrade only to WANJet appliances running version 5.0.1.
Warning: A valid service contract is required to complete this upgrade.
If the WANJet appliance is currently running version 5.0.1, you can upgrade directly to version 5.0.2.
The process of remotely upgrading to WANJet appliance version 5.0.2 requires completing the following steps:
- Saving and backing up existing system configuration data
- Downloading the installation IM package from F5 Networks
- Copying the local installation package to the WANJet appliance
- Running the installation script
The following sections describe how to perform these tasks.
Before you upgrade to this version of the software, you need to save your current WANJet appliance configuration data. Backing up your configuration prevents loss of data if, for any reason, the upgrade is not successful.
Collect and archive the existing configuration files, by typing the following command. Note that to have the installer automatically load the configuration file during startup, you must name the file config.ucs and store it in the / partition.
bigpipe config save /config.ucs
Important: It is critical that you back up the archived configuration files to a secure remote location. In the event installation fails, you might need to use the remotely stored file to restore your previous configuration data. For more information about UCS archive files, see SOL4423: Overview of UCS archives.
After you save the existing configuration, download the installation local-install-5.0.x.x.x.im file from http://support.f5.com. For details about downloading the IM package, see SOL167: Downloading software from F5 Networks.
Note: Before you continue, we recommend downloading the associated MD5 checksum file and performing the MD5 checksum operation to ensure that the file downloaded correctly. For more information about running the MD5 checksum, see Verifying the MD5 checksum of the installation file.
After you save the existing configuration and download the local installation package, you need to copy the local-install-5.0.2.x.x.im file to the /var/tmp directory on the WANJet appliance that you want to upgrade. The following example shows how to use the scp command to copy the file to the WANJet appliance, where <local-install>.im is the name of the local install IM, and the <WANJetIP> is the IP address of WANJet appliance to which you want to copy the IM file.scp <local-install>.im root@<WANJetIP>:/var/tmp .
After you copy the local installation IM file to the WANJet appliance you want to upgrade, you can run the im command to extract the installation files from the local installation IM file.
Now that you have copied the installation package to the target system, you are ready to install the version 5.0.2 software. On the WANJet appliance, use the im command to run the installation script. The im command extracts the script and begins the installation.
To install the software
- To extract and run the local-install script from the IM package and complete the installation, type the following command:
The system presents a number of messages, and then installation starts. Once installation starts, you can use the arrow and Tab keys to navigate the presented options. You can select an option from a menu using the Enter key or the highlighted character key, and you can toggle select boxes on or off using the spacebar.
- Respond to the installation script prompts for the following information:
- Installation image: When prompted to choose an installation image, select the version 5.0.2 installation image.
- Installation location: You are prompted for the installation location, slot cf 1.1 or cf 1.2, on the CompactFlash. (You can install the software in each location. At boot time, you can select which installation you want to boot.)
- Configuration files: Next, you have the option to roll forward any supported configurations (config.ucs files) found on the system. You should have already saved a UCS in the procedure Saving and backing up existing configuration data.
- Review the installation options you have selected. Select Yes on the final WANJet appliance installation screen to begin the installation.
After the installation is complete, the WANJet appliance reboots and you can log on, as described in Getting Started.
[ Top ]
For additional information, please visit http://www.f5.com.