Applies To:Show Versions
- 13.0.1, 13.0.0
Overview: Screening and forwarding non-wide IP traffic to a pool of DNS servers
BIG-IP® DNS can function as a traffic screener in front of a pool of DNS servers. In this situation, BIG-IP DNS checks incoming DNS queries and if the query is for a wide IP, resolves the query. Otherwise, BIG-IP DNS forwards the DNS query to one of the servers in a pool of DNS servers, and that server handles the query.
Traffic flow when BIG-IP DNS screens traffic to a pool of DNS servers
A listener is a specialized virtual server that passively checks for DNS packets on port 53 and the IP address you assign to the listener. When a DNS query is sent to the IP address of the listener, BIG-IP DNS either handles the request locally or forwards the request to the appropriate resource.
Perform these tasks to screen non-wide IP traffic and forward the traffic to a pool of DNS servers.
Creating a pool of local DNS servers
On the Main tab, click the applicable path.
The Pool List screen opens.
The New Pool screen opens.
- In the Name field, type a unique name for the pool.
- For the Health Monitors setting, from the Available list, select the custom DNS monitor you created and move the monitor to the Active list.
Using the New Members setting, add each resource that
you want to include in the pool:
- (Optional) In the Node Name field, type a name for the node portion of the pool member.
- In the Address field, type an IP address.
- In the Service Port field, type a port number, or select a service name from the list.
- (Optional) In the Priority field, type a priority number.
- Click Add.
- Click Finished.
Creating listeners that alert BIG-IP DNS to DNS queries for a pool of DNS servers
On the Main tab, click
.The Listeners List screen opens.
The Listeners properties screen opens.
- In the Name field, type a unique name for the listener.
- For the Destination setting, in the Address field, type an IPv4 address on which BIG-IP DNS listens for network traffic.
- From the Listener list, select Advanced.
- For the Address Translation setting, select the Enabled check box.
- In the Service area, from the Protocol list, select UDP.
- From the Default Pool list, select the pool to which this listener forwards DNS queries.
- Click Finished.
You now have an implementation in which BIG-IP® DNS receives DNS queries, handles wide IP requests, and forwards all other DNS queries to members of the pool of DNS servers.