Applies To:Show Versions
- 11.5.9, 11.5.8, 11.5.7, 11.5.6, 11.5.5, 11.5.4, 11.5.3, 11.5.2, 11.5.1
Overview: Screening and forwarding non-wide IP traffic to a pool of DNS servers
BIG-IP Global Traffic Manager (GTM) can function as a traffic screener in front of a pool of DNS servers. In this situation, BIG-IP GTM checks incoming DNS queries and if the query is for a wide IP, resolves the query. Otherwise, BIG-IP GTM forwards the DNS query to one of the servers in a pool of DNS servers, and that server handles the query.
A listener is a specialized virtual server that passively checks for DNS packets on port 53 and the IP address you assign to the listener. When a DNS query is sent to the IP address of the listener, BIG-IP GTM either handles the request locally or forwards the request to the appropriate resource.
Perform these tasks to screen non-wide IP traffic and forward the traffic to a pool of DNS servers.
Creating a pool of local DNS servers
- On the Main tab, click The Pool List screen opens. or .
- Click Create. The New Pool screen opens.
- In the Name field, type a unique name for the pool.
- For the Health Monitors setting, from the Available list, select the custom DNS monitor you created, and click << to move the monitor to the Active list.
Using the New Members setting, add each resource that
you want to include in the pool:
- Type an IP address in the Address field.
- Type a port number in the Service Port field, or select a service name from the list.
- To specify a priority group, type a priority number in the Priority Group Activation field.
- Click Add.
- Click Finished.
Creating listeners that alert GTM to DNS queries for a pool of DNS servers
- On the Main tab, click The Listeners List screen opens. .
- Click Create. The Listeners properties screen opens.
- In the Name field, type a unique name for the listener.
- For the Destination setting, in the Address field, type an IPv4 address on which GTM listens for network traffic.
- From the Listener list, select Advanced.
- For the Address Translation setting, select the Enabled check box.
- In the Service area, from the Protocol list, select UDP.
- From the Default Pool list, select the pool to which this listener forwards DNS queries.
- Click Finished.