Applies To:Show Versions
General environmental guidelines
The VIPRION® 4400 Series platform is an industrial network appliance that is designed to be mounted in a standard 19-inch EIA rack. Follow these guidelines to adhere to safety precautions:
- Install the rack according to the manufacturer's instructions and check the rack for stability before placing equipment in it.
- Build and position the rack so that once you install the platform, the power supply and the vents on both the front and back of the unit remain unobstructed. The platform must have adequate ventilation around the unit at all times.
- Do not allow the air temperature in the room to exceed 104°F
Note: NEBS-certified units can withstand air temperatures up to 131°F (55°C). The maximum temperature is only required to be met for a short period of time.
- Do not plug the unit into a branch circuit shared by more electronic equipment than the circuit is designed to manage safely at one time.
Guidelines for the AC-powered platform
An AC-powered installation must meet these requirements:
- Install the unit using a 20 amp external branch circuit protection device.
- Normally, one power feed is used for each individual power supply.
- The building installation shall provide a means for connection to protective earth; and
- The equipment is to be connected to that means; and
- A SERVICE PERSON shall check whether or not the socket-outlet from which the equipment is to be powered provides a connection to the building protective earth. If not, the SERVICE PERSON shall arrange for the installation of a PROTECTIVE EARTHING CONDUCTOR from the separate protective earthing terminal to the protective earth wire in the building.
Guidelines for the DC-powered platform
A VIPRION® DC-powered installation must meet these requirements:
- Install the unit using a 25 amp external branch circuit protection device.
- One power feed must be used for each individual power supply.
- For permanently connected equipment, incorporate a readily accessible disconnect in the fixed wiring.
- Use only copper conductors.
- The DC MAINS powering the equipment shall be connected to protective earth.
NEBS platform guidelines
This information applies to the Network Equipment-Building System (NEBS) version of the VIPRION 4400 Series platform.
This equipment meets NEBS requirements per GR-63-CORE.
This equipment is suitable for installation in these locations:
- Network Telecommunication Facilities
- Locations where the National Electrical Code (NEC) applies
Platform airflow diagram
When you install the platform into a rack, it is important to understand the unit’s airflow direction so that you can ensure proper cooling.
The platform employs a negative pressure fan system, which draws cold air in from the front and right sides of the chassis and exhausts hot air out the back and left sides of the chassis.
Airflow in the VIPRION 4400 Series platform