Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IP Virtual Edition (VE) is a version of the BIG-IP system that runs as a virtual machine. Supported modules include Local Traffic Manager, BIG-IP DNS, Application Security Manager, Access Policy Manager, Application Acceleration Manager, Policy Enforcement Manager, Application Firewall Manager, and Analytics. BIG-IP VE includes all features of device-based BIG-IP modules running on standard BIG-IP TMOS, except as noted in release notes and product documentation.
- Supported platforms
- User documentation for this release
- Compatibility of BIG-IQ products with BIG-IP releases
- Fixes, behavior changes, and known issues
- New in 13.0.0
- Contacting F5 Networks
- Legal notices
This version of the software is supported in the following configurations. For a list of VE hypervisor support, see the Virtual Edition and Supported Hypervisors Matrix.
Memory: 12 GB or more
All licensable module-combinations may be run on BIG-IP Virtual Edition (VE) guests provisioned with 12 GB or more of memory.
Memory: 8 GB
The following guidelines apply to VE guests configured with 8 GB of memory.
- No more than three modules should be provisioned together.
Memory: Less than 8 GB and more than 4 GB
The following guidelines apply to VE guests provisioned with less than 8 GB and more than 4 GB of memory.
- No more than three modules (not including AAM) should be provisioned together.
- Application Acceleration Manager (AAM) cannot be provisioned with any other module; AAM can only be provisioned standalone.
Memory: 4 GB or less
The following guidelines apply to VE guests provisioned with 4 GB or less of memory.
- No more than two modules may be configured together.
- AAM should not be provisioned, except as Dedicated.
User documentation for this release
For a list of Virtual Edition (VE) hypervisor support, see the Virtual Edition and Supported Hypervisors Matrix.
- BIG-IP LTM / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP DNS / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP ASM / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP APM / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP AAM / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP PEM / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP AFM / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
- BIG-IP Analytics / VE 13.0.0 Documentation
Compatibility of BIG-IQ products with BIG-IP releases
K14592: Compatibility of BIG-IQ products with BIG-IP releases provides a summary of version compatibility for specific features between the BIG-IQ system and BIG-IP releases.
Fixes, behavior changes, and known issues
For a comprehensive list of fixes, behavior changes, and known issues for this release, refer to the BIG-IP 13.0.0 Release Information page.
New in 13.0.0
Single NIC functionality is now available for all hypervisors. In a single NIC configuration, networking objects (vNIC 1.0, a VLAN, and a self IP) are created automatically and the port for the BIG-IP Configuration utility is set to 8443.
Cloud-Init is now enabled for BIG-IP VE for all hypervisors except Azure. For details, see the Cloud-Init documentation on Askf5.com.
IAM Roles instead of IAM Users
To enable communication between BIG-IP VE and AWS, you can now use IAM roles, rather than using an IAM user and entering credentials in the BIG-IP Configuration utility.
If your environment has DHCP, MTU will now automatically be set for the management interface.
Contacting F5 Networks
|Phone - North America:||1-888-882-7535 or (206) 272-6500|
|Phone - Outside North America, Universal Toll-Free:||+800 11 ASK 4 F5 or (800 11275 435)|
|Fax:||See Regional Support for your area.|
For additional information, please visit http://www.f5.com.
You can find additional support resources and technical documentation through a variety of sources.
- The F5 Networks Technical Support web site: https://f5.com/support
- The AskF5 web site: https://support.f5.com/csp/home
- The F5 DevCentral web site: https://devcentral.f5.com/
- AskF5 Publication Preference Center: https://interact.f5.com/AskF5-SubscriptionCenter.html
F5 Networks Technical Support
Free self-service tools give you 24x7 access to a wealth of knowledge and technical support. Whether it is providing quick answers to questions, training your staff, or handling entire implementations from design to deployment, F5 services teams are ready to ensure that you get the most from your F5 technology.
AskF5 is your storehouse for thousands of knowledgebase articles that help you manage your F5 products more effectively. Whether you want to browse periodically to research a solution, or you need the most recent news about your F5 products, AskF5 is your source.
The F5 DevCentral community helps you get more from F5 products and technologies. You can connect with user groups, learn about the latest F5 tools, and discuss F5 products and technology.
AskF5 Publication Preference Center
To subscribe, click AskF5 Publication Preference Center, enter your email address, select the publications you want, and click the Submit button. You will receive a confirmation email. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email, or on the AskF5 Publication Preference Center screen.
- TechNews Weekly eNewsletters: Up-to-date information about product and hotfix releases, new and updated articles, and new feature notices.
- TechNews Notifications: Periodic plain text TechNews, sent any time F5 releases a product or hotfix. (This information is always included in the next weekly HTML TechNews email.)
- Security Alerts: Timely security updates and ASM attack signature updates from F5.