Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
- 6.0.1, 6.0.0, 5.4.0, 5.3.0, 5.2.0
What is BIG-IQ Virtual Edition?
BIG-IQ® Virtual Edition (VE) is a version of the BIG-IQ system that runs as a virtual machine in specifically-supported hypervisors. BIG-IQ VE emulates a hardware-based BIG-IQ system running a VE-compatible version of BIG-IQ software.
About BIG-IQ VE compatibility with XenServer hypervisor products
Each time there is a new release of BIG-IQ® Virtual Edition (VE) software, it includes support for additional hypervisor management products. The Virtual Edition and Supported Hypervisors Matrix on the AskF5™ website, http://support.f5.com, details which hypervisors are supported for each release.
About the hypervisor guest definition requirements
The XenServer virtual machine guest environment for the BIG-IQ® Virtual Edition (VE), at minimum, must include:
- 4 x virtual CPUs
- 16 GB RAM Important: When you provision the amount of RAM allocated to the virtual machine, it must match the amount of reserve RAM.
- 1 x virtual network adapter
- 1 x 95 GB disk
There are also some maximum configuration limits to consider for deploying a BIG-IQ VE virtual machine, such as:
- CPU reservation can be up to 100 percent of the defined virtual machine hardware. For example, if the hypervisor has a 3 GHz core speed, the reservation of a virtual machine with 2 CPUs can be only 6 GHz or less.
- To achieve optimum performance limits, all allocated RAM must be reserved and virtual disks should be deployed Thick (allocated up front).