Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
What you need to do before you upgrade BIG-IQ from version 5.x to 5.3
Before upgrading F5® BIG-IQ® Centralized Management, perform the following tasks.
|Create a backup of the BIG-IQ system's current compressed user configuration set (UCS) and store it on a remote server.||The UCS file includes: system-specific configuration files, license, user account and password information, and SSL certificates and keys. You can use this backup in the event you want to restore to the previous version of BIG-IQ.|
|Decide which disk volume you want to install the upgrade on. You must have at least two volumes to upgrade BIG-IQ.||If the machine you are upgrading does not have two volumes, you must create one using a sequence of tmsh commands. The upgrade task provides options for either case.|
|Deploy any staged configuration changes to your managed devices.||
This step is required only if you are going to use the script to re-discover and re-import BIG-IP devices and services after the upgrade (as outlined in the section titled, Re-discover devices and re-import services in bulk using a script).You must deploy configuration changes you have staged for your devices if you use this script, because they'll be overwritten on BIG-IQ after you run the script. If you'd rather re-discover devices and re-import services from the BIG-IQ user interface (instead of in bulk) so you can address any potential configuration conflicts for each BIG-IP device, refer to the section titled, Re-discover devices and re-import services from the user interface.
If you're currently running a version of BIG-IQ prior to version 5.0, you must first upgrade to version 5.0 before you can upgrade to version 5.3. For more information, refer to the guide titled, F5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management: Upgrading BIG-IQ to Version 5.0.
If you're upgrading BIG-IQ Data Collection Device clusters, refer to the guide titled, F5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management: Upgrading Data Collection Device clusters to version 5.3.
Upgrade 5.2 primary BIG-IQ to version 5.3
- Prepare the DCD cluster for upgrade.
- Update the DCDs in the cluster.
- Upgrade the secondary BIG-IQ.
- Download the BIG-IQ version 5.3 .iso image from the F5 downloads site
Upgrade the BIG-IQ primary to take advantage of the newest functionality and features.
- Log in to the primary BIG-IQ system with your admin user name and password.
- At the top of the screen, click System.
On the left, expand Available Images.
, then click The Available Images screen lists the software image files that are available for install on this BIG-IQ.
- Select the check box for the image you want to install and click Install.
From the Target Volume list, select the volume you want
to install the image on.
Note: If the Target Volume list is empty, the machine you are upgrading does not have a second volume available for you to install the upgrade. You must create one to proceed.
- If you selected a target volume, complete the remaining steps to finish the upgrade.
- If you do not have a
second volume, use the following sequence of tmsh commands
to install the upgrade for this machine:
- Use SSH to log in to the machine you want to upgrade. You must log in as root to perform this procedure.
- Navigate to the folder where you install software using the command: cd /shared/images
- Install the upgrade
to a new volume using one of the following commands:
- If you are upgrading a virtual machine: tmsh install sys software image <full name of the iso file> volume hd1.2 create-volume reboot
- If you are upgrading a BIG-IQ 7000 series platform: tmsh install sys software image <full name of the iso file> volume md1.2 create-volume reboot
- While the system installs the upgrade to the new volume, you can check on the status of the upgrade using the command: tmsh show sys soft.
- When the upgrade finishes installing, the machine reboots. Proceed to the next to the last (login) step in this task.
- To prompt BIG-IQ to reboot into the new software installation volume, select the Reboot into Target Volume check box.
- Click the Install button.
- Click the Continue button.
Wait while BIG-IQ loads the new software and reboots.
Depending on your configuration and the number of devices you are managing, this could take up to an hour. During this time, it is important that you not interrupt the installation process by restarting services or the server.
- Log in to the primary BIG-IQ to confirm that the upgrade succeeded.
If needed, extend the /var partition.
The default size of the /var file system in a newly installed node is 10 GB. This volume size might be insufficient to store your data. You can see how to extend this file system to a larger size in knowledge article K16103. refer to: K16103: Extending disk space on BIG-IQ Virtual Edition at support.f5.com/csp/article/K16103. Because upgrading a node requires at least two volumes, you must ensure that both volumes can have their /var file system extended to the same size, or upgrades might fail.