Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Upgrading the data collection devices to version 5.4
After you prepare the data collection device (DCD) cluster for upgrade, use these procedures to upgrade the DCDs in your cluster. Perform the following tasks for each DCD in the cluster.
- Upload the BIG-IQ® version 5.4 software image.
- Upgrade the DCD to version 5.4.
- Confirm that the DCD is back in service
Prerequisites for upgrading the data collection device to the latest version
Before upgrading the F5® BIG-IQ® Centralized Management data collection device, perform these tasks.
|Reactivate the BIG-IQ system license.||You must do this for each data collection device in the cluster. For specific instructions about how to reactivate a license, refer to the F5® BIG-IQ® Central Management: Licensing and Initial Setup guide.|
|Decide which disk volume to install the upgrade on. At least two volumes are required to upgrade BIG-IQ.||If the machine you are upgrading does not have two volumes, you must create one using a CLI command. The upgrade task provides options for either case.|
Upload the latest version of the BIG-IQ software image
You upload the latest BIG-IQ® version of the software image to your DCD to make it available for this upgrade.
- At the top of the screen, click System.
- On the left, click .
- Click the Upload Image button.
- Click the Choose File button and go to the location to which you downloaded the image, and click the Open button to upload it to BIG-IQ.
Click the Upload button.
The screen refreshes to display the progress of the upload.
Upgrade the data collection devices to the latest version
The upgrade process installs the new version of the software on one DCD. You must repeat this process for each DCD in your cluster.
- At the top of the screen, click System.
On the left, expand Available Images.
, and then click The Available Images screen lists the software image files that are available for install on this BIG-IQ system.
- Select the check box for the image you want to install and click Install.
From the Target Volume list, select the volume you want
to install the image on.
Note: If the Target Volume list is empty, the machine you are upgrading does not have a second volume available for you to install the upgrade. You must create one to proceed.
- If you selected a target volume, complete the remaining steps to finish the upgrade.
- If you do not have a
second volume, use the following procedure to install the upgrade for this
- Use SSH to log in to the machine you want to upgrade. You must log in as root to perform this procedure.
- Navigate to the folder where you install software using the command: cd /shared/images
- Install the upgrade
to a new volume by running one of the following commands:
- If you are upgrading a virtual machine: tmsh install sys software image <full name of the iso file> volume hd1.2 create-volume reboot
- If you are upgrading a BIG-IQ 7000 series platform: tmsh install sys software image <full name of the iso file> volume md1.2 create-volume reboot
- While the system installs the upgrade to the new volume, you can check on the status of the upgrade using the command: tmsh show sys software status.
- When the upgrade finishes installing, the machine reboots. Proceed to the next to the last (login) step in this task.
- To prompt the data collection device to reboot into the new software installation volume, select the Reboot into Target Volume check box.
Click the Install button.
A confirmation dialog box appears.
- Click the Continue button.
Wait while the data collection device loads the new software and reboots.
Depending on your configuration and the number of devices you are managing, this could take up to 15 minutes. During this time, it is important that you not interrupt the installation process by restarting services or the server.
- Log back in to the data collection device to confirm that the upgrade succeeded.
If needed, extend the /var partition.
The default size of the /var file system in a newly installed or upgraded node is 30 GB. This amount of available storage might not be enough to store your data. If you previously extended your disk space, you'll need to do it again after you upgrade, as explained in K16103: Extending disk space on BIG-IQ Virtual Edition.Important: Upgrading a node requires at least two volumes, so be sure you can extend the /var file system on both volumes to the same size; otherwise, upgrades might fail.