Applies To:Show Versions
- 14.0.1, 14.0.0
- 14.0.1, 14.0.0
Placing BIG-IP DNS in Front of a DNS Server
Overview: Configuring BIG-IP DNS to screen traffic to an existing DNS server
About wildcard listeners
Placing DNS in front of a DNS server
Placing BIG-IP DNS on your network to forward traffic
- Physically connect BIG-IP DNS to your Internet connection.
- Connect the LDNS to an Ethernet port on BIG-IP DNS (optional).
- Connect the LDNS to a switch.
Creating listeners to forward traffic to a DNS server
- On the Main tab, click.The Listeners List screen opens.
- ClickCreate.The Listeners properties screen opens.
- In theNamefield, type a unique name for the listener.
- For the Destination setting, in theAddressfield, type the IP address on which BIG-IP DNS listens for DNS queries.The destination is the IP address of a DNS server to which you want the listeners to route DNS queries.The destination must not match a self IP address on BIG-IP DNS.
- From theVLAN Trafficlist, selectAll VLANs.
- In the Service area, from theProtocollist, selectUDP.
Creating a wide IP for BIG-IP DNS
- On the Main tab, click.The Wide IP List screen opens.
- ClickCreate.The New Wide IP List screen opens.
- In the General Properties area, in theNamefield, type a name for the wide IP.You can use two different wildcard characters in the wide IP name: asterisk (*) to represent several characters and question mark (?) to represent a single character. This reduces the number of aliases you have to add to the configuration.
- From theTypelist, select a record type for the wide IP.
- In the Pools area, for thePool Listsetting, select the pools that this wide IP uses for load balancing.The system evaluates the pools based on the wide IP load balancing method configured.
- From thePoollist, select a pool.A pool can belong to more than one wide IP.