Applies To:Show Versions
- 15.0.1, 15.0.0, 14.1.0
Configuring Quota Management using Rating Groups
Overview: Configuring quota management
About Gy support and
About Online Charging System
- Unit determination, that refers to the calculation of the number of non-monetary units like service units, data volume, time and events that shall be assigned prior to starting service delivery. PEM uses the Session Charging with Unit Reservation (SCUR) system.
- Rating refers to determining a price, based on the non-monetary units calculated by the unit determination function. When online charging is used in the P-GW, the credit control is per rating group. P-GW allows reporting of the service usage per rating group or per combination of the rating group and service ID. Service ID sometimes is synonymous of rating group. Gy messages does not have to include both service identifier and rating group. You can use both service identifier and rating group, to be able to rate based on rating group but keep track of usage per service. For example, if you rate Facebook, Twitter and YouTube in the same way, so to create a single rating group, you accumulate usage per each service. With this setup you get less reservation spreading, while keeping track of usage per service. This reporting level can be activated per PCC rule.
What defines a rating group?
- Define the rating group for thresholds and timers
- Validity time, which indicates the time that limits the validity of the granted quota
- Quota holding indicates the number of seconds for which the quota granted by the OCS, is held by the gateway when no traffic is received for that rating group.
- Quota consumption, used by the OCS, indicates to the client that the quota consumption must be stopped after a period at session termination or when no packets are received.
- Time quota threshold indicates the threshold in seconds when the granted quota is time.
- The Volume-Quota-Threshold AVP indicates the threshold in octets when the granted quota is volume.
management for global settings
- On the Main tab, click.The Global Options screen opens.
- In the Quota Management Options area, for theDefault Rating Groupsetting, selectCreateto create a new rating group for quota management.This takes you to thescreen. Click to go back to options screen.
Creating rating groups
- On the Main tab, click.The Rating Groups List screen opens.
- ClickCreate.The New Rating Group screen opens.
- In theNamefield, type a name for the rating group.
- In theDescriptionfield, type optional descriptive text for the rating group.
- In theRating Group IDfield, type an unique identifier (integer). This Rating Group ID is used by the quota managing endpoint, such as, Gy.
- In theInitial Quotasetting, specifyVolumein octets, the initial quota to receive and send from the OCS, and the total quota volume.
- In theInitial Quotasetting, specifyTimein seconds, the initial time for quota.
- In theDefault Quotasetting, specifyVolumein octets, the default quota to receive and send from the OCS, and the total quota volume.
- In theThresholdfield, type a default threshold level you want to use for a sending quota replenishment request.The default value is0, which indicates that there is no threshold.
- In theUsage Timefield, type the quota for how long the traffic can be used.
- In theConsumption Timefield, type the maximum idle time that is accounted as quota usage. This is the default value of quota for time and specifies time units for charging as well.
- In theValidity Timefield, type the duration for which the quota is used, if the online charging system (OCS) does not specify the validity time.
- In theHolding Timefield, type the holding time (in seconds), for which the quota is valid without any usage, if the time is not specified by the OCS.The default values for consumption time, validity time and holding time are used, when the OCS does not specify them.
- From theBreach Actionlist, select the appropriate action to be taken when default quota expires or OCS does not provide new quota or breach action.Breach ActionDescriptionTerminateThe system stops traffic when quota is breached.AllowThe system allows traffic to go through even when the quota is breached.RedirectThe system redirects traffic to the forwarding endpoint, when quota is breached.
- From theRequest on Installlist, selectYesif the quota has to be requested from the Gy, when the policy is installed for a subscriber. Otherwise, selectNofor quota to be requested when one of the applications associated with the rating group is detected.
Adding rating group
in enforcement policy
- On the Main tab, click.The Policies screen opens.
- Click the name of the enforcement policy you want to add rules to.The properties screen for the policy opens.
- In the Policy Rules area, clickAdd.The New Rule screen opens.
- In theNamefield, type a name for the rule.
- In thePrecedencefield, type an integer that indicates the precedence for the rule in relation to the other rules. Number 1 has the highest precedence. Rules with higher precedence are evaluated before other rules with lower precedence.All rules in a policy are run concurrently. Precedence takes effect when there are conflicting rules. The conflict occurs when the traffic matches two rules and the policy actions from these rules differ. For example, if you have rule 1 with precedence 10 andGate Statusdisabled for a search engine, and you have rule 2 with precedence 11 andGate Statusenabled, then rule 1 is processed first because it has higher precedence. Rules conflict if they have identical or overlapping classification criteria (for the traffic that matches more than one rule). In some cases, different policy actions are not conflicting, and hence, applied in parallel.
- From theRating grouplist, in theQuotasetting, select the prior configured rating group or create a new rating group. This specifies what you want to do with the traffic that you are classifying or specify what actions you want to apply to the traffic.
- Repeat steps 3-8 to create as many rules as needed to handle the traffic you are interested in.
Creating a listener for quota management
- On the Main tab, click.The Date Plane Listeners screen opens.
- In the Policy Provisioning and Online Charging Virtuals area, clickAdd.The New Configure Diameter Endpoint Provisioning and Online Charging screen opens.
- In theName Prefixfield, type a unique name for the listener.
- In theDescriptionfield, type a description of the listener.
- From theVLAN and Tunnel Trafficlist, selectEnabled on. Then, for theVLANs and Tunnelssetting, move the VLAN or VLANs on which you want to allow the virtual servers to share traffic from theAvailablelist to theSelectedlist.
- For theVLANs and Tunnelssetting, move the VLANs and tunnels that you want to monitor from theAvailablelist to theSelectedlist.
- To connect to a PCRF, from theDiameter Endpoint Provisioninglist, selectGyfrom theSupported Appsoptions.
- In theProduct Namefield, type the product name which is used to communicate with the OCS.
- In theOrigin Hostfield, type the fully qualified domain name of the OCS, for example,ocs.xnet.com.
- In theOrigin Realmfield, type the realm name or network in which the OCS resides, for example,xnet.com.
- In theDestination Hostfield, type the destination host name of the OCS, for example,ocsdest.net.com.
- In theDestination Realmfield, type the realm name or network of the OCS, for example,net.com.
- For thePool Member Configurationsetting, add the OCS servers that are to be members of the Gy endpoint pool. Type theMember IP AddressandPortnumber, then clickAdd.
- In theMessage Retransmit Delayfield, type the number of milliseconds to wait before retransmitting unanswered messages in case of failure from the BIG-IP system to the OCS over the Gy interface. The default value is1500.
- In theMessage Max Retransmitfield, type the maximum number of times that messages can be retransmitted from the BIG-IP system to the OCS. The default value is2.
- In theFatal Grace Timefield, type the time period in seconds that a diameter connection can remain disconnected before the system terminates all sessions associated with that diameter endpoint. The default value is500.
- ClickFinished.The Policy Enforcement Manager creates a listener.