Manual Chapter : Benefits of a lightweight SFC controller
Applies To:Show Versions
- 17.1.0, 17.0.0, 16.1.3, 16.1.2, 16.1.1, 16.1.0, 16.0.1, 16.0.0, 15.1.8, 15.1.7, 15.1.6, 15.1.5, 15.1.4, 15.1.3, 15.1.2, 15.1.1, 15.1.0, 15.0.1, 15.0.0, 14.1.5, 14.1.4, 14.1.3, 14.1.2, 14.1.0, 14.0.1, 14.0.0
Benefits of a lightweight SFC controller
As a lightweight SFC controller, the BIG-IP system can:
- Smoothly transition customer BIG-IP devices to an SFC architecture without the need for an external SDN controller.
- Provide an SFC architecture that is solution-independent and vendor-agnostic.
- Provide an RFC 7665-compliant architecture, including the ability to configure BIG-IP devices as service chain classifiers and service function forwarders (SFFs). The BIG-IP system as a lightweight controller also supports the ability to select previously-created VLAN and tunnel interfaces that serve to connect BIG-IP SFFs to service functions (SFs).
- Operate in the future as a mediation layer, to accept configuration data from an external SDN controller.