Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Optimizing Configuration Management with Templates
About configuration templates
Create a device
template for auto-scaled BIG-IP VE devices
- At the top of the screen, clickDevicesthen, on the left, clickDEVICE TEMPLATES.
- Click theCreatebutton.
- After you name this template, click theAdd/Removebutton. Select the objects you want to add, and clickOK.The system adds the objects to the template. A yellow circle displays next to each object to let you know that you need to provide an initial value.ObjectThis is where you specify:NotesConfigurationThe text for a hostname prefix and/or suffix to help you identify new BIG-IP VE devices in the you cloud environment.The default route and management port used to communicate between BIG-IQ and the BIG-IP VE devices in the SSG.You must configure a hostname so that you can identify issues revealed through device specific analytics.You can use any port except for 8443.LicenseSpecific license pool you want to use to license new BIG-IP VE devices.You must specify a license pool for the devices in an SSG.ProvisioningComponents you want installed on new BIG-IP VE devices.You must at least select Local Traffic Manager (LTM). You also need Application Visibility and Reporting (AVR) so that analytic data from your devices can trigger scaling events.DNS & NTPDetails about the lookup and NTP server settings and time zone.You must specify an NTP server so all of the devices in the SSG have the same time reference. This must be a server that has the same time as the managing BIG-IQ system.Management IPSelect an IP pool from the menu, then select an option:If you select anIP PoolorIP Pool Alias, type the alias of the IP pool.If you selectDHCP, the DHCP service on that network will provide an IP address.If you select anIP PoolorIP Pool Alias, you'll the VMware tools installed for the template. Refer to the following article for instructions: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K44134742VLANsInterface for the virtual or physical port to connect BIG-IQ to your managed devices.Optional tag you want to use in the packet header of this VLAN and Optional frame size (MTU).You must specify a VLAN for the devices in an SSG.By default, BIG-IP devices use the standard Ethernet frame size of 1518 bytes (1522 bytes if VLAN tagging is used) with the corresponding MTU of 1500 bytes. For BIG-IP devices that support Jumbo Frames, you can specify another MTU value.Self-IPsIP address and VLAN details, including port lockdown options.You must specify self IP addresses for the devices in an SSG.You must specify self IP addresses for the devices in an SSG.Do not remove or rename the external self IP or application deployments to this SSG will fail.For an IPv4 address, you must specify a /32 IP address per RFC 3021. You must type the full netmask. Specifying the prefix length in bits is not supported.If you use an IP pool for your self IP addresses, the pool name you specify in the template must match the name you specify when you configure the VMware environment.RoutesStatic route settings for new BIG-IP VE devices.For destination, you can use the self IP address for this route. It displays in the destination column of the routing tableRoot accountRoot user account for new BIG-IP VE devices.It is good practice to provide root access so that you can access the devices for troubleshooting.User accountsSelect the role and specify a user name and password for users you want to provide access to new BIG-IP VE devices.In addition to alphanumeric input, you can use all punctuation characters for the password.Or, if you are using local authentication and have created apassword enforcement policy, the password must meet the criteria specified in the password enforcement policy.
Deploying a configuration template to managed devices
- At the top of the screen, clickDevices.
- On the left, click.
- Near the top of the screen, click theCreatebutton.
- From theConfig Templatelist, select the template you want to deploy.
- In theDeployment Namefield, specify the name for this configuration template deployment.
- From theAvailablelist, click the devices you want to deploy the configuration template to, and then click->to move it to theIncludedlist.
- Click theNextbutton at the bottom of the screen, navigating to the components required for this template, and specifying the configuration.
- Click theDeploybutton.