Manual Chapter : Modify Auto-Scale Settings
Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Modify Auto-Scale Settings
Modifying auto-scale triggers for your service scaling group
Your service scaling groups (SSG) triggers a scale event based on its auto-scaling rules. These rules consist of one or more metrics and a critical threshold that is sustained for over five minutes. When an SSG device's metrics violate one of the scale-out thresholds, a scale-out recommendation occurs. A scale-in recommendation occurs only when all metrics for a device drop below scale-in thresholds.
Each SSG has customized auto-scale rules. You can modify these rules, based on each SSG.
Modify auto-scaling triggers
You have created a service scaling group to manage your applications, and configured the metrics at which you want the BIG-IQ to automatically create or remove BIG-IP VE devices.
Adjust the metrics and unit thresholds that currently define a service scaling group's scaling rules. The scaling rules define the trigger for the auto-scale recommendations of your service scaling group, which either adds or removes BIG-IP VE devices.
- At the top of the screen, clickApplications.
- On the left, click.
- Click the service scaling group name (grid view) or title (tile view).You are now on the service scaling group's screen.
- At the center of the screen, clickCONFIGURATION, or click the health icon located at the far left of the summary barYou are now in the Service Scaling Group Properties area.
- Go to theScaling Ruleslist.
- In theScale-Outfield you can adjust the previously configured metrics and defined unit thresholds that trigger a scale-out recommendation. The maximum is 4 different metrics.You can configure a maximum of 5 different metrics with defined thresholds that trigger a scale-out recommendation. At least one threshold needs to be crossed in order to trigger a scale-out recommendation.
- In theScale-Infield, you can adjust the previously configured metrics and defined unit thresholds that trigger a scale-in recommendation.You can configure a maximum of 4 different metrics with defined thresholds that trigger a scale-in recommendation. All metric thresholds needs to be crossed in order to trigger a scale-in recommendation.
- To save your changes, clickSaveat the bottom of the screen.You can clickSave & Closeto return to the Service Scaling Groups screen.
The scale process is now triggered by the new alert rules configured. Once the defined thresholds are crossed, you will receive a scale recommendation alert. A scale recommendation will initiate a scale process, unless the scale recommendation was triggered during the scale cool-down period.