Manual Chapter : Add and activate a purchased, volume, or utility license pool on a BIG-IQ connected to the internet (automatic method)
Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
activate a purchased, volume, or utility license pool on a BIG-IQ connected to the
internet (automatic method)
To add and activate a license, you must have a base registration key. You get your key from F5 Networks, typically in the form of an email. If you do not have a base registration key, contact the F5 Networks sales group (
You can use this procedure to automatically contact the F5 license server for activation if F5 BIG-IQ Centralized Management system is:
- Connected to the public internet.
- Able to access theactivate.f5.comsite.
- Existing firewalls allow port 443 to pass through.
You add and activate a purchased, volume, or utility pool license so you can make it available for assignment to BIG-IP VEs in your network. When you activate a volume or pool license using this method, BIG-IQ activates the associated offerings automatically.
- At the top of the screen, clickDevices.
- On the left, click.
- Click theAdd Licensebutton.
- In theBase Registration Keyfield, type or paste the registration key, and into theAdd-on Keysfield, type or paste any associated add-on keys.
- For theActivation Methodsetting, selectAutomatic.
- Click theActivatebutton at the bottom of the screen.
- Review the EULA, and if you agree with the terms, click theAcceptbutton at the bottom of the screen.
Activating licenses with offerings can take 5-10 minutes, depending on the number of offerings. A status bar displays on the licenses and license properties pages to show you the progress. When the activation status displays as
Active, you can assign a license from the pool to a BIG-IP VE device.
If a license or offering fails to activate, the license displays with a yellow triangle next to it in the list. You'll need to reactivate that license and its offerings. For individual offerings, you can add an optional description for identification after activation.