Manual Chapter : Data Collection Device Operation
Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Data Collection Device Operation
Change the Master Key
If this BIG-IQ is part of a high availability (HA) configuration or a member of a Data Collection Device (DCD) cluster, you must remove those associations before you can change the Master Key. After you revise the master keys so that the keys for all devices match, you can rebuild the HA configuration and DCD cluster.
All BIG-IQ systems in an HA configuration and every BIG-IQ and Data Collection Device (DCD) in a DCD cluster must have the same Master Key for successful connectivity. You can change the Master Key when necessary.
When you change the Master Key, BIG-IQ goes offline. When you next log in, BIG-IQ returns to setup mode. Before you can proceed, you must complete the setup sequence, and then re-launch BIG-IQ.
- At the top of the screen, clickSystem.
- On the left, clickGeneral Properties.
- Click theEditbutton on the right.
- Click theChange Master Keybutton.
- Type the current and new Master Key passphrases and confirm the new passphrase.
Data Collection Device best practices
There are a number of useful concepts to consider when you manage Data Collection Devices (DCD) for off-box data storage. This reference material might be helpful for setting up and maintaining your DCD cluster.
In addition to the collection of best practices discussed here, you might want to consider how to take best advantage of the disaster recovery capabilities that the DCD can provide by deploying DCD clusters in multiple zones. For a discussion of these concepts, refer to Disaster Recovery Best Practices in this guide.
As part of maintaining a DCD cluster, you might need to remove one or more devices from your DCD cluster. When you remove a DCD from the cluster, the collected data must be redistributed to the remaining devices in the cluster. Consequently, there are a couple things to bear in mind.
- When you move data, losing part or all of that data is a risk. Therefore, before you remove a DCD from the cluster, F5 recommends that you create a snapshot to back up your data.
- While the data is being redistributed, it might take a little longer to deliver the statistics data that drive your application service analytics.