Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
Deploying Applications to your Devices
Deploying applications to the devices in a service scaling group
Using a service template created by your network engineer, you create and deploy the applications used by the auto-scaling BIG-IP VE devices in your cloud. When you create an application, you decide which objects to include and which settings to revise and then identify the service scaling group (SSG) to which you want it to deploy.
Create and deploy an application
At the top of the screen, click
Applications then, on the left, click
The screen displays the list of applications currently defined on this device.
The Create Application screen opens.
- For the Template, select the service template you want to use to create this application from.
- Use the Name and Description fields to identify this application.
For Environment, identify where you want the application to
If you select then Select Service Scaling Group From Service Scaling Group, select the name of the service scaling group to which you want to deploy this application. Select BIG-IP
- From BIG-IP,
select the name of the device to which you want to deploy this
application.Important: If you deploy an application to one of the members in a sync-failover group, the devices in the group must be set to Auto-sync. Otherwise, when the application deploys, the sync-failover group is out of sync, so the group cannot fail-over if the active device goes offline.
- To gather statistical data about the performance of this application on the device you deploy it to, select Collect HTTP Statistics.
- From BIG-IP, select the name of the device to which you want to deploy this application.
Determine the objects that you want to deploy in
- To omit any of the objects defined in this template, click the (X) icon that corresponds to that object.
- To create additional copies of any of the objects defined in this template, click the (+) icon that corresponds to that object.
For each object you decide to include in
the application, revise the settings that you need to change.
Note: When you specify values for fields that reference other configuration objects, you can select objects that already exist in BIG-IQ configuration. But you can also specify objects that are created when this application is deployed. These objects that don't yet exist in BIG-IQ configuration, but are created when this application is deployed are prefixed with a pound sign (#). For example a template could define a pool MyPool1 and a node 188.8.131.52. To specify the application-created object, you select the value prefixed with a pound sign (#) when you select the value for that node. (That option would appear as #184.108.40.206 in the example cited here.
Specify settings for the ELB that triggers device
scaling for this SSG.
Note: The application you plan to deploy on this SSG determines which ELB listener settings are required. Use the protocol and port appropriate for the template used to create this application. For example, if you intend to deploy an application using either the Default-AWS-f5-HTTPS-WAF-lb-template or the Default-AWS-f5-HTTPS-offload-lb-template, you must add two new listeners.
- For Name of Classic Load Balancer, type the name of the load balancer you created for this application.
- For Listeners, select the protocols and ports that the ELB will use to communicate with the devices in this SSG.
Load Balancer Protocol Load Balancer Port Instance Protocol Instance Port Cipher SSL Certificate TCP 443 TCP 443 N/A N/A TCP 80 TCP 80 N/A N/ANote: Each application you deploy requires a unique ELB. Similarly, the security group associated with the ELB must be unique. Neither of these AWS objects can be shared when you deploy multiple applications to an SSG.Note: The virtual server port for each application in an SSG must be unique. Applications can share an external port, but not the virtual server port. For example: you could configure two applications on the same SSG using Load Balancer Port 80 for both ELBs. But for the Instance Port, the ELB for one application could use 1000 and the second application could use 2000.
- If you are using a custom template, for the Load Balancer settings, type 0.0.0.0 for both the Destination Address and Destination Network Mask.
When you have configured the objects that you want
to include in this application, click Create.
BIG-IQ creates the application and deploys it to the target you specified.