Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IQ Centralized Management
How do I create an application using BIG-IQ?
To create an application using the BIG-IQ user interface, you choose a service template that defines the objects in that application, and then decide whether you want to deploy that application to a service scaling group (SSG) or to a managed BIG-IP device.
A service template is a collection of objects that you define. When you create an application from the template, you can omit or include these objects. Parameters defined as not visible in the template are included using the default template values. Parameters defined as editable are visible and can be revised. Once you specify the objects and settings you need, you save the application and it creates those objects on the device you targeted it to, or on the devices in the SSG you identified.
Create an application using a template
At the top of the screen, click Applications then, on the
left, click APPLICATIONS.
The screen displays the list of applications currently defined on this device.
The Create Application screen opens.
- For the Template, select the service template you want to use to create this application from.
- Use the Name and Description fields to identify this application.
For the Environment field,
identify where you want the application to deploy:
Option Description Service Scaling Group From the Service Scaling Group field select the name of the service scaling group to which you want to deploy this application. BIG-IP
- From the BIG-IP field select the name of the device to which you want to deploy this application.
- To gather statistical data about the
performance of this application on the device you deploy it to,
HTTP Statistics.Warning: This option only supports applications managed by BIG-IP version 126.96.36.199 or later. If your template is intended for applications from multiple version of BIG-IP, you can manually enable HTTP statistic collection from the Application Properties configuration ( :Properties:CONFIGURATION).
Determine the objects that you want to deploy in
Required field for the selected template are marked with a yellow border.
- To omit any of the objects defined in this template, click the (X) icon that corresponds to that object.
- To create additional copies of any of the objects defined in this template, click the (+) icon that corresponds to that object.
For each object you decide to include in
the application, revise the settings that you need to change.
Note: When you specify values for fields that reference other configuration objects, you can select objects that already exist in BIG-IQ configuration. But you can also specify objects that are created when this application is deployed. These objects that don't yet exist in BIG-IQ configuration, but are created when this application is deployed are prefixed with a pound sign (#). For example, a template could define a pool MyPool1 and a node 188.8.131.52. To specify the application-created object, you select the value prefixed with a pound sign (#) when you select the value for that node. (That option would appear as #184.108.40.206 in the example cited here.)
When you have configured the objects that you want
to include in this application, click Create.
BIG-IQ creates the application and deploys it to the target you specified.
Edit and review an application
- At the top of the screen, click Applications, then, on the left, click APPLICATIONS.
Click the name of the application that you want to edit.
The Application dashboard displays for the selected application.
- In the Application Configuration Map, under APPLICATION SERVICES, click the service type you want to review.
Click CONFIGURATION near the middle of the
The objects defined for this application for the service type you selected are listed.
Click each of the object types
defined in this application to review the settings.
The right side of the configuration area displays an application map portraying the selected object type.
- To change a setting for a selected object, click Quick Edit and the object is defined as editable in the service template, then revise the parameters that you want to change.
When your edits are complete, click Save &
The system updates the application with the settings you specified.