Applies To:Show Versions
- 11.5.10, 11.5.9, 11.5.8, 11.5.7, 11.5.6, 11.5.5, 11.5.4, 11.5.3, 11.5.2, 11.5.1
Overview: SNMP monitoring of third-party servers
You can configure the BIG-IP Global Traffic Manager (GTM) to acquire information about the health of a third-party server using SNMP. The server must be running an SNMP agent.
To configure BIG-IP GTM to acquire information about the health of a third-party server using SNMP, perform the following tasks.
Creating an SNMP monitor
- On the Main tab, click The Monitor List screen opens. .
- Click Create. The New Monitor screen opens.
Type a name for the monitor.
Important: Monitor names are limited to 63 characters.
- From the Type list, select SNMP.
- Click Finished.
Defining a third-party host server that is running SNMP
- On the Main tab, click The Server List screen opens. .
- Click Create. The New Server screen opens.
In the Name field, type a name for the server.
Important: Server names are limited to 63 characters.
- From the Product list, select a third-party host server or select Generic Host. The server type determines the metrics that the system can collect from the server.
In the Address List area, add the IP addresses of the server.
- Type an external (public) IP address in the Address field, and then click Add.
- If you use NAT, type an internal (private) IP address in the Translation field, and then click Add.
- From the Data Center list, select the data center where the server resides.
From the Prober Pool list, select one of the
Option Description Inherit from Data Center By default, a server inherits the Prober pool assigned to the data center in which the server resides. Prober pool name Select the Prober pool that contains the BIG-IP systems that you want to perform monitor probes of this server.
- In the Health Monitors area, assign an SNMP monitor to the server by moving it from the Available list to the Selected list.
- From the Virtual Server Discovery list, select Disabled.
In the Virtual Server List area, if you selected
Disabled from the Virtual Server
Discovery list, create a virtual server to represent (in a pool)
the host server that you are creating.
- In the Name field, type a name for the virtual server.
- In the Address field, type the IP address of the host server.
- From the Service Port list, select SNMP.
- Click Add.
- Click Create. The Server List screen opens displaying the new server in the list.