Applies To:Show Versions
General environmental and installation guidelines
The i800 Series platform is an industrial network appliance that is designed to be mounted in a standard 19-inch EIA rack.
Follow these guidelines to adhere to safety precautions:
- Install the rack according to the manufacturer's instructions and check the rack for stability before placing equipment in it.
- Build and position the rack so that after you install the platform, the power supply and the vents on both the front and back of the unit remain unobstructed. The platform must have adequate ventilation around the unit at all times.
- Although not required, a 1U space between units makes it easier for you to remove the unit from the rack in the event that the unit requires service. A 1U space between units also provides additional cable routing options.
- Leaving at least 100 mm of space from the front panel of the unit to the rack front or rack door provides enough room for you to route the cables without excessive bending or insulation damage.
- A shelf or similar supportive structure is required to support the unit if only one person is installing the unit.
- Do not plug the unit into a branch circuit shared by more electronic equipment than the circuit is designed to manage safely at one time.
- Route and secure power cords so that they do not obstruct removal of the fan tray.
Chassis rack-mount spatial requirements
The i800 Series platforms ship with a rack mount kit to help install the system more easily. This kit requires that the rack or cabinet has certain clearances and spacing, as shown here.
Rack mounting spatial requirements for the i800 Series platform
Detailed view of rack mounting spatial requirements
Guidelines for AC-powered equipment
An AC-powered installation must meet these requirements:
- Use a 15 amp external branch circuit protection device to install the unit.
- Use one power feed for each individual power supply.
- The building installation shall provide a means for connection to protective earth; and
- The equipment is to be connected to that means; and
- A SERVICE PERSON shall check whether or not the socket-outlet from which the equipment is to be powered provides a connection to the building protective earth. If not, the SERVICE PERSON shall arrange for the installation of a PROTECTIVE EARTHING CONDUCTOR from the separate protective earthing terminal to the protective earth wire in the building.
Platform airflow diagram
When you install the platform into a rack, it is important to understand the unit's airflow direction so that you can ensure proper cooling.
The platform employs a negative pressure fan system, which draws cold air in from the front of the chassis.
Airflow in iSeries platforms