Applies To:Show Versions
BIG-IP Link Controller
Installing BIG-IP Version 15.1.9
- Update/reactivate your system or vCMP host license, if needed, to ensure that you have a valid service check date. For more information, see K7727: License activation may be required before a software upgrade for the BIG-IP or Enterprise Manager system.
- Ensure that your system is running version 13.x or later.
- Download the.isofile from F5 Downloads to/shared/imageson the source for the operation. (If you need to create this directory, use the exact name/shared/images.)
- Configure a management port.
- Set the console and system baud rate to19200, if it is not already.
- Log on as an administrator using the management port of the system you want to upgrade.
- Check all DNSSEC Key generation's 'expiration' and 'rollover' date:time fields before performing a GTM sync group upgrade. If any of the DNSSEC Key generations are set to rollover or expire during the planned upgrade window, modify the date:time of the 'expiration' and/or 'rollover' fields to extend past the anticipated upgrade window, to a date:time when all units in the sync group will again have GTM config sync enabled.
- Boot into an installation location other than the target for the installation.
- Save the user configuration set (UCS) in the/var/local/ucsdirectory on the source installation location, and copy the UCS file to a safe place on another device.
- Log on to the standby unit, and only upgrade the active unit after the standby upgrade is satisfactory.
- Turn off mirroring.
- If you are running Policy Enforcement Manager, set provisioning toNominal.
- If you are running Advanced Firewall Manager, set provisioning toNominal.
Installing the software
Install to existing volume, migrate source configuration to destination
tmsh install sys software image [
image name] volume [
Install from the browser-based Configuration utility
Use the Software Management screens in a web browser.
Sample installation command
Post installation tasks
- Ensure the system rebooted to the new installation location.
- Log on to the browser-based Configuration utility.
- Change the password for the root and admin account.All administrative users must change their passwords on first login after the user ID is created.
- Run the Setup utility.
- Provision the modules.
Installation tips and important notes
- The upgrade process installs the software on the inactive installation location that you specify. This process usually takes between three minutes and seven minutes. During the upgrade process, you see messages posted on the screen. For example, you might see a prompt asking whether to upgrade the End User Diagnostics (EUD), depending on the version you have installed. To upgrade the EUD, typeyes, otherwise, typeno.
- You can check the status of an active installation operation by running the commandwatch tmsh show sys software, which runs theshow sys softwarecommand every two seconds. Pressing Ctrl + C stops the watch feature.
- If installation fails, you can view the log file. The system stores the installation log file as/var/log/liveinstall.log.The upgrade process does not update Tcl scripts (such as iRules) in the configuration. This might cause issues when iRule syntax changes between releases. After upgrading, you might need to modify iRules to reflect any changes in iRule syntax.